Christmas Wreath Cake
This wreath cake is so pretty at Christmas and makes a festive, delicious presentation at parties!
1 box yellow cake mix – plus ingredients for yellow cake mentioned in the recipe on the box
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 can cherry pie filling
Ingredients (cream cheese frosting)
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Bake a large (10″) round, single layer cake according to the instructions on the cake mix box.
- Use a large cookie cutter to cut a hole in the center of the cake for the wreath shape.
- Make cream cheese frosting. Beat together butter and cream cheese in a large bowl using an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until mixed.
- Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting.
- Make extra frosting and tint it green with a few drops of green food coloring.
- Pipe green frosting high in two rows around the outer and inner circumference using a pastry bag with a specialty decorating tip (like Wilton 105).
- Mix 1 teaspoon of almond extract into the cherry pie filling to increase the taste.
- Spread the can of cherry pie filling evenly between the two piped icing portions.
- Bake at 350⁰ for about 30 minutes.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas,